Full course description
Experiencing issues with the payment portal or interested in group rates or employer payment options? Please contact Miami Online (MiamiOnline@MiamiOH.edu, 513-529-6068) or Professional Education program manager Kristine Smith (SmithKL@MiamiOH.edu) for assistance.
What You'll Learn
Learn how broadening perspectives in an increasingly diverse world sets the tone for successful intercultural dialogue. Concentrated on creating understanding and fostering communication between diverse groups, you'll walk away with actionable strategies for interactions in the global community. You'll receive a verified digital badge upon successful completion of the course.
- Biases, Stereotypes, and Microaggressions
- Race and Anti-Racism
- LGBTQ+ Identities and Culture
- Ableism and Inclusion
- Allyship and Advocacy
DEI in Leadership Certificate
Complete the DEI Foundations course and any additional DEI course (Coalition-Building, Health Equity, and Inclusive Workplaces) to earn Miami University's DEI in Leadership Certificate.
Who Should Attend
This certificate is designed for community members and professionals who:
- Want to strengthen their understanding of DEI concepts
- Want to make an impactful contribution to their organization's inclusion efforts
Miami's commitment to DEI is underscored by our Code of Love and Honor, which includes embracing a diversity of people, ideas, and experiences. In this course, which received a bronze Telly Award in 2022 for its outstanding media content, you'll learn from teacher-scholars and expert staff who propel Miami's pledge. Miami received the INSIGHT Into Diversity Higher Education Excellence in Diversity (HEED) Award in 2020, recognizing our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Miami University is ranked in the nation's Top 50 public universities by U.S. News and World Report. We rank in the Top 10 national public universities for our commitment to undergraduate teaching — a commitment we uphold in our graduate, professional, and online programs. Learn more about Miami's academics.
Computer and Browser Requirements
A computer or laptop is recommended for an optimal learning experience. Miami University hosts this course in its learning management system, Canvas. Most browsers should work fine, but Canvas provides a list of minimum browser and computer requirements and a tool to check whether the browser you are using is up to date.
Cancellation and Refund Policy
If you wish to cancel your registration and receive a refund for the course, you must complete the Refund Request Form within 3 days of enrollment.
This course is currently open to those in the United States. Our payment gateway does not accept international credit cards at this time.
- Cristina Alcalde, vice president of Institutional Diversity and Inclusion and professor of Global and Intercultural Studies
- Rodney Coates, professor of Global and Intercultural Studies and coordinator for Black World Studies
- Madelyn Detloff, professor and chair of English
- Ashley Cartell Johnson, senior clinical faculty in Educational Psychology
- Denise Taliaferro Baszile, former professor of Educational Leadership and associate dean for student services and diversity